Birth Certificates for individuals born in the state of Missouri
The Schuyler County Health Department is able to provide state issued birth certificates from 1910 to present for those who were born in the state of Missouri. The current cost for a birth certificate is $15.00. You must show photo ID.
Birth certificates can be issued to the following people:
- Registrant – the person whose name is on the certificate
- A member of the immediate family which includes those family members an in-laws in the direct line of descent up, but not including cousins – Wife, Husband, Son, Daughter, Mother, Father, brother, Sister, Grandmother, Grandfather, Grandchildren, Aunt, Uncle, Niece and Nephew are eligible to receive your birth certificate.
- A guardian may receive a copy of a birth certificate of a child who is under their care and custody with appropriate guardianship papers.
- Foster Parents with appropriate custody papers.
- Authorized agent of person or family.
- Others as demonstrated by a direct and tangible interest when information is needed for determination or protection of personal or property rights.
People who are not eligible to receive a birth certificate are: Cousins, Funeral Directors, and alleged Father, Genealogists, and Friends.
Death Certificates are available from 1980 – present. The current cost for a death certificate is $14.00. Each additional certificate requested at the same time for the same person is an additional $11.00. You must show photo id.
All family members, genealogists representing family members, a physician acting on behalf of the person or family and a funeral director acting on behalf of the family may receive a copy of a death certificate.
People who will not be able to receive a death certificate include: friends, attorneys not acting on behalf of the person or family, and physicians not acting on behalf of the person or family.
Acceptable Documentation for Identification:
Primary Documents (One document is required)
- A state issued driver’s license that includes a photograph and date of birth.
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth.
- A current U.S. Military identification card that includes a photograph.
- A U.S. passport with current photograph.
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant’s name, photograph, and date of school year.
- Work identification card that includes the applicant’s name, photograph, and company name.
Alternate forms of Identification Documents (At least two documents)
- Letter from government or social agencies
- School yearbook
- A W – 2 form issued within the last year in addition to a signed Social Security card (social security numbers must match)
- Social Security card or Social Security numident printout (print out of an applicant’s social Security account of activities)
- Court certified adoption papers that includes adopted parent(s) name
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- Certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Proof of auto insurance
- Insurance policy (health, life, home, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare document or identification card
- A payroll stub that includes a Social Security number of applicant (cannot be a handwritten stub)
- Military discharge document (DD – 214)
- Cancelled duplicate check (must show name, address, signature, and name of institution)
- Utility bills which shows name and address of applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)
- Shelter name band (including name of shelter)
Birth and death certificates may be obtained at the Health Department in person or by mail by completing the steps below. Our hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday thru Thursday. The Health Department is also open during noon time hours.
If applying in person, you must submit the following:
STEP 1: Complete and sign the “Application For A Vital Record”. This form can be requested from our clerk or found at http://health.mo.gov/data/vitalrecords/pdf/birthdeath.pdf.
STEP 2: Provide identification. See Identification Documents List above.
STEP 3: Review the certificate for accuracy and pay fees.
If applying by mail:
STEP 1: Complete and sign the “Application For A Vital Record”. This form can be found at the Missouri Department Health website http://health.mo.gov.data/vitalrecords/pdf/birthdeath.pdf
STEP 2: Have your “Application For A Vital Record” form Notarized.
STEP 3: Include your payment with notarized application and mail to the Health Department:
Schuyler County Health Department
P.O. Box 387
Lancaster, MO 63548